I'm a true believer that there is always a blessing in a hard situation.
Such was the case when I decided to try Accutane. You can read my blog post *here all about my experience on the drug.
When I went back to my dermatologist here in France, she offered to lower me to 10 mg. I told her no. I was done with the treatment.
It's been about a month since I've stopped Accutane, and I was honestly expecting the worse.
If you've ever had bad acne you know that there is this anxiety or fear about waking up to another super painful bump coming in almost every morning.
I woke up almost everyday for the past 2 years with that as my reality.
However, since making minor and I mean super minor changes to my diet and lifestyle I've healed my skin.
Here are the tips:
1. Avoid stress, practice meditation daily
2. Cutting out all dairy products
3. Cutting out triggers such as: chocolate, coffee, nuts, alcohol (everyone's triggers are different)
4. Limiting use of cooking with oil/oily foods (cooking with mostly water!)
5. Almost zero processed/packaged foods
6. Supplements to a minimum (I only take Zinc and B12=vegan life)
7. Simple skin care routine: raw organic honey and jojoba oil (helped my skin the most!) Here's an *article on why.
8. Drinking tons of water
9. Stop picking face/zits (this stops spread of infection)
10. Sleeping at least 8 hours every night (10 is even better!)
Now, is my skin perfect? No. I don't expect it to ever be perfect. I just want to give it the tools to heal.
I don't have some unrealistic image in my head anymore, and I'm not fixed on the idea of having perfect skin.
Now that I know the alternative, and how I felt when I was on that medication, I can never imagine not making these changes.
Even though I am off the medication, I still deal with a super sore neck and aches and pains throughout my body. I may have to deal with that forever.
But now I can live with the fact that I am doing what my body needs and not what is hurting me.
Love and light xoxo,